Needs Assessment: A Review
An organization’s training and development program is only as good as its needs assessment.
Here is a great comprehensive review of the needs assessment process and how important it is to successful employee training. It is so important to have successful employee training outcomes.
Karla Gutierrez from Shift–Disruptive Elearning sums up what can go wrong when an organization does not do a proper needs assessment.
- the right people the wrong things
- the right things to the wrong people
- the right skills the wrong way
The best way to avoid the above is an upfront needs assessment. All organizations and HR departments usually need a refresher on a proper needs assessment to avoid the negative outcomes of not doing one.
- After reviewing the eight steps of a needs assessment process, pick two that you feel are easy to accomplish and pick two that you feel are harder to accomplish. Once chosen explain your reasoning and defend your arguments with examples.
- Explain why training and development need assessments are important and why so many organizations fail to conduct proper ones.