Disney is implementing the 5S safety plan.
Mickey, Minnie and even the Disney Princesses are not immune to the presence of Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S). The Disney Corporation is known for its exceptional customer services, lean delivery methods and, according to the following EHS Today articles, Disney is adding the 5S system to improve its safety culture.
Click here to read an article about the S5 system
What is 5S system anyway? It is similar to the Japanese “Kainzen” concept of continual quality improvement. The five “S”s are:
- Set it order
Source: Get Kaizened Inc. The above content constitutes a link to the source website. Please click on the play icon to stream the video.
Gail House and Jennifer Zipeto, safety service managers with Walt Disney World, have stated the following about the 5S program: “Implementing a 5S program has bred a more efficient, productive workforce and is slowly improving Disney’s safety culture as a whole. Each cast member now knows their responsibilities, is able to find things more easily and is beginning to understand how 5S plays into Disney’s Four Keys.”
Click here to read the article about Disney and S5
Here are Disney’s four Keys to exceptional customer service and the behaviours required to implement them on a day to day basis:
- I practice safe behaviors in everything I do.
- I take action to always put safety first.
- I speak up to ensure the safety of others.
- I project a positive image and energy.
- I am courteous and respectful to Guests of all ages.
- I go above and beyond to exceed Guest expectations.
- I stay in character and perform my role in the show.
- I ensure my area is show-ready at all times.
- I perform my role efficiently so Guests get the most out of their visit.
- I use my time and resources wisely.
Click here to read about Disney’s Four Keys
Disney is all about the experience, but they know that the Magical Kingdom experience does not come by just having great characters and good luck; it comes from integrated management systems such as the Four Keys and the 5S program to truly make the magic happen, and make the park a safer place for all.
- Research the best way to implement the 5S program to include occupational health and safety.
- If you were the HR department of a large manufacturing plant, develop a project plan on how to roll out a 5S safety program. Where would you start and why?
- You have been just hired into a small startup company with 100 employees and you produce a high end organic line of salad dressing. Your CEO has read about Disney and the 5S program, and she would like to implement it in the plant. The company has no safety program in place. Would you recommend to the CEO implement a 5S program or a traditional safety program? Which would you choose and why?